Alexandria Township is located in northwestern Hunterdon County, where its rich history and rural charm appeal to residents and visitors alike. A thoughtful combination of residential and commercial growth is balanced by scenic acres of rolling farmland and open space. Outlet shops, wineries, country inns and historical sites in the area make Alexandria a popular place to live, work and play.
Bordered by the Delaware River at its westernmost portion, Alexandria is surrounded by Bethlehem, Holland, Union, Frenchtown, Milford, Franklin and Kingwood. Bucks County, Pennsylvania is across the Delaware River. Measuring approximately 28 square miles, the Alexandria has about 5,000 residents.
Old-fashioned fun is promoted at township events which include an annual fishing derby at Bruner’s Pond, an Easter egg hunt, Halloween fun fair, a community day and a summer concert series.
Alexandria Township History
Alexandria has the distinction of being one of the state’s first incorporated townships; it was one of 104 named by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature in 1798. Earlier than that, the area was settled by Europeans in the early 1700s.
These European residents named Alexandria to honor James Alexander in 1744. Alexander was an early landholder, purchasing 10,000 acres in the township and parts of Frenchtown. James Alexander was born in Scotland in 1690, and immigrated to America in 1715. He was Surveyor-General of New York and New Jersey. His son, William Alexander, aka “Lord Stirling,” was born in New York City in 1726. He was a major-general during the Revolutionary War.
Today, Alexandria includes the historic villages of Mount Pleasant, Everittstown, Little York and part of Pittstown. Everittstown and Little York are listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places. The Everittstown Historic District was known as
Everitt’s Mills in 1759. By 1816 it became known as Everittstown and had grown considerably. In 1881 the village contained a post office, oil mill, tavern, blacksmith shop, tailor and about 25 dwellings. Before 1828, Little York Historic District was known as Pokano and two mills had been constructed on the Wissahawken Creek. In 1881 the hamlet consisted of three churches, two stores, two mills, two blacksmiths, a wheelwright and a tavern.
Alexandria Township Neighborhoods
Alexandria Township real estate includes a wide range of architectural styles and settings. There are Bucks County stonefront Colonials, brickfront Georgian Colonials, French country manor homes, gated estates, craftsman-style homes, Victorians, historic homes, farmhouses, ranches, luxury homes, cottages and newer neighborhoods of spacious homes set along winding streets.
- Alexandria Hunt
- Alexandria Run
- Brook Hill Estates
- Deerfield Estates
- Foxwood at Alexandria
- Hemingway Estates
- Palmyra Farms
- Smoke Run
- Woodside Estates
Alexandria Township Transportation
In keeping with the rural makeup of the township, there are no major highways or interstates passing through its borders. Several county routes include 513, 519 and 579. Interstate 78/22 can be accessed in neighboring Franklin or Union Townships for travel to New York City or business campuses in the region.
The Raritan Valley Line of NJ Transit has a station in nearby Lebanon at Cherry and Central Avenues, a half-mile south of Route 22. The trip to Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan takes about 90 minutes. The train also stops at Newark’s Penn Station for connecting PATH train service to Hoboken or the Wall Street area.
Trans-Bridge Lines has a bus stop in nearby Frenchtown on the corner of Front and Bridge Streets for service to Port Authority in Manhattan. The 6:25am bus arrives in New York at 8:15am. Trans-Bridge also offers service to Newark Liberty and JFK International airports.
Alexandria Township Schools
The Lester D. Wilson Elementary School at 525 Route 513 in Pittstown is a Pre-Kindergarten to grade 3 school housing approximately 260 pupils. Full day Kindergarten sessions are scheduled. The school emphasizes smaller class sizes, technology and special subjects including art, music, physical education and computers. Every classroom has computers, Internet access and a Smart Board.
Students in grades one to three can join the Literary Club and contribute artwork, poetry and stories to the Lester D. Wilson Literary Journal. Third graders participate in enrichment activities, choosing from math, language arts, gym, music, art, world languages and student council during each trimester. “Writing Across the Curriculum” and hands-on science kits are other academic offerings. A long list of PTA activities includes a book fair, family skate and bowling nights, bedtime stories, Muffins with Moms and Doughnuts with Dad.
Alexandria Middle School is located less than a mile from the elementary school at 557 Route 513 in Pittstown. The Middle School teaches about 370 students in grades four through eight. The school’s slogan, “Growing to Greatness,” is reflected in the teaming model adopted by the National Middle School Association. Fourth graders participate in a self-contained program, while fifth graders begin a departmental approach to learning. In addition to the typical academic offerings, Alexandria Middle School also offers technology engineering and design, Spanish and computers. The Accelerated Math Program prepares students for advanced placement in high school, while students demonstrating exceptional academic ability are challenged with an innovative school-wide enrichment program.
Athletic teams in the middle school include volleyball, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, field hockey and cross country. Other extra-curricular activities include computer, chess, ski, yearbook, student council/peer leadership and homework clubs.
The Alexandria Township Education Foundation is a non-profit organization founded in 1997 to provide private resources which supplement existing school district funds for the township’s elementary and middle schools.
Delaware Valley Regional High School is part of a regional school district serving students in western Hunterdon County. Approximately 1,000 students from grades nine to 12 attend from Alexandria as well as Holland and Kingwood Townships and Milford and Frenchtown Boroughs. The school is located at 19 Senator Stout Road in Frenchtown.
Delaware Valley offers a variety of academic opportunities at the general, college preparatory and honors levels. Advanced Placement courses are offered in English, English literature, Spanish, French, United States and European history, calculus, biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, psychology, music theory, statistics and macroeconomics.
Additionally, Delaware Valley has established over 60 collaborative programs and individualized support systems for special needs students in the regular education environment.
The high school’s Ninth Grade Learning Academy program was designed to help incoming freshmen transition to high school. Learning facilities include a state-of-the-art television studio which produces a student-run show broadcast on Delaware Valley’s website and local cable television. In collaboration with Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC), high school seniors can experience college by taking RVCC courses during the school day.
Delaware Valley’s co-curricular program offers over 30 clubs and activities and 18 interscholastic sports.
Alexandria Township Recreation
The Alexandria Township Park and Recreation Commission organizes programs for Alexandria residents including spring and fall youth soccer, winter youth basketball, adult basketball and adult volleyball. Leagues are formed for the 18-hole disc golf course.
Trail riders may be interested in the Alexandria Equestrian Association, whose collective interest is the retention and promotion of the area’s rural character.
Alexandria Township Parks
Alexandria Township Park at 242 Little York-Mount Pleasant Road in Milford offers a variety of recreational opportunities with two full-sized basketball courts, baseball and softball diamonds, a “Kidtopia” playground with shade structure, soccer and lacrosse fields, a riding arena, walking and nature trails, an 18-hole disc golf course designed by Matt LaCourte, snack shack, bocce courts, a pavilion and even group camping facilities. This 93-acre park was established in 2001.
New Jersey’s first available pump track was constructed at Alexandria Park in 2011. A pump track is a continuous dirt loop similar to a BMX track for bikers, but smaller in scale so it is suitable for cyclists of all ages and skill levels.
Bruner’s Pond on Airport Road opposite the Alexandria Field Airport hosts the township’s annual fishing derby for residents 14 and under, which is held every April.
Alexandria Township Points of Interest
The Holland-Alexandria Free Public Library at 129 Spring Mills Road in Milford, is an association library, not a county branch. Fundraising events have included an Oktoberfest and a wine-tasting, while recent library offerings included a summer reading program, turtle show, photography exhibit and puppet show. The library collection offers DVDs, music and language CDs, books on CD, online ordering of all materials throughout the Hunterdon County Library system, Wi-Fi service, computers with online and printing features, graphic novels, magazines, newspapers, and a weekly children’s story hour.
Hot Air Ballooning is available at Sky Manor Airport, 42 Sky Manor Road, and Alexandria Field Airport, 70 Airport Road, both in Pittstown. Colorful balloon rides take in majestic panoramas of the surrounding farmland, Delaware River and Pennsylvania countryside.
Mount Salem Church Hall on County Route 579 was built in 1864 as a Methodist church and is maintained by the Alexandria Township Historical Society. This Greek Revival/Italianate structure was added to the National List of Historic Places in 1988.
Peaceful Valley Orchards at 150 Pittstown Road in Pittstown is a 150-acre fruit and vegetable farm. The farm market sells fresh produce or you can pick your own strawberries, apples, pumpkins and Asian pears.
The Prevost Farm House at 1100 Milford-Frenchtown Road was donated to the township and is used by the Alexandria Historical Society. It opened as a Museum of Local History and historical library to hold many of acquisitions related to the bygone days of Alexandria and surrounding areas.